The Cardiopulmonary Department’s goal is to make sure that anyone who has lung or heart problems can receive the help they need close to home.
What are cardiopulmonary services?
Respiratory therapists educate, treat, and help diagnose people suffering from lung or heart problems, including asthma.
Who can receive care?
Anyone can receive care at Pocahontas Memorial Hospital who needs it. For outpatients, all that is needed is a referral order from a primary care provider.
What kind of tests are offered at PMH?
Several tests can be done at Pocahontas Memorial Hospital. The results from these tests can help medical providers better diagnose and treat heart or lung problems. The tests available include:
- Spirometry test—the first and most commonly done Pulmonary Function Test. The Spirometry test determines how much air your lungs can hold and how quickly you can move air in and out.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)—test checks for problems with electrical activity in heart.
- Six minute walk Pulse-ox evaluations—simple test measures oxygen level in blood during six minute walk.
- Pulse-ox evaluation for sleep apnea—done overnight as an inpatient or outpatient.
- Holter monitor services—used to check heart rhythm over period of time.
- Arterial Blood Gas (ABG) test—measures acidity and the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in blood coming from arteries.
What other cardiopulmonary services are available
- Smoking/Tobacco Cessation Counseling—need help quitting smoking or other tobacco usage? Contact us for the meeting times or counseling.
- Nebulizer or Inhaler Demo & Instruction—for patients who need advanced instruction or for parents with children or other adults who need help with using an inhaler correctly.
Who is the contact person for a referral?
Contact Dean at 304-799-7400 ext. 1052. Referral information can be faxed to 304-799-6729.
Click here for the West Virginia Division of Tobacco Prevention website including videos, facts, statistics, and other resources to quit smoking or other tobacco use.
Click here for resources on e-cigarettes and vaping.