Frequently Asked Questions
What is PMH doing to prepare for the coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Pocahontas Memorial Hospital continues to implement new processes to protect our patients, our staff, and our community from the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). These processes sometimes change daily as the situation evolves throughout our state and country. Please be patient with us.
As of March 27, 2020:
- A strict NO VISITORS policy is in place.
- Anyone entering the hospital will be screened for illness by a trained staff member. Everyone entering the building will be screened for cough, fever, shortness of breath, etc.
- Entrances to the hospital are limited to the front main entrance and the Emergency Entrance. Please only use the Emergency Entrance for actual emergencies.
- Separate waiting areas have been established for “well patients” here for routine visits or outpatient procedures and “sick patients.”
- The Dining Room is closed to visitors.
- Sanitizing stations are located at each entrance of the hospital.
- A hospital task force team meets daily to evaluate the situation and needs of the facility.
- Effective Tuesday, March 24, 2020, all in-person medical record requests have been temporarily placed on hold due to restrictions related to COVID-19. In order to obtain your medical records you must submit a written request and proof of identification. Requests may be emailed, faxed, or mailed. Please call us with questions at 304-799-7400 ext 1308. You may request your records by:
- Submitting PMH’s Authorization to Release Medical Information, located on the Medical Records page.
- Submitting a written request including:
- Patient name, address and birth date
- Whom you want the information sent to (please provide Name and address if you wish it to be mailed, Name, Phone number and fax number or Name and email address)
- The dates of the records requested.
- Effective Tuesday, March 24, 2020, all in-person payments and all in-person billing questions for the Business Office are temporarily placed on hold due to restrictions related to COVID-19.
Please make payments online through our bill pay service or call to make credit card payments over the phone at 304-799-7400, extension 1300. You may also mail your payment to Pocahontas Memorial Hospital 150 Duncan Road, Buckeye, WV, 24924. You may call 304-799-7400, extension 1300 for all other billing inquiries.
- Financial assistance applications will be accepted by mail, email to email@example.com , or fax to 304-799-0835. Please do not bring applications to the hospital. You may contact Traci Alderman at 304-799-7400, extension 1026, with questions.
How Can I help?
We are absolutely overwhelmed by the outpouring of concern and generosity for our hospital. Nationwide shortages or delays of important healthcare equipment have us all concerned as we prepare for a possible onslaught of coronavirus patients locally. We are so grateful for the dozens of homemade masks that so many of you have sewn for us. These will only be used if our own supply is depleted and necessity absolutely requires it. We will also consider donations of the following unused supplies and use them where needed in our hospital:
- Latex-free gloves
- Procedural masks
- Surgical masks
- Surgical masks with shield
- N95 respirators and N95 filters
- Other respirators (P100’s, PAPR’s, and PAPR supplies / parts)
- Face shields
- Splash shields
- Hand sanitizer, greater than 60% alcohol
- Hand soap
- Shoe covers, disposable
- Disinfecting wipes
- Unscented bleach
- Cleaning supplies
- Peraclean (peroxyacetic acid)
- Lonzagard R-82G (Quaternary ammonium)
- Lysol Neutra Air 2 in 1 (Ethanol)
- Hydrogen peroxide
All supplies or masks may be conveniently dropped off at our hospital front door in a tub designated for these items. You do not even need to come in the doors. The tubs are monitored regularly and our Nursing Staff will make daily collections.
Some have asked for an Amazon Wish List to be set up. Unfortunately, a simple search for the items above will show that most are sold out or on back order for several weeks. If you do happen to find some of these items, feel free to have them shipped directly to the hospital at Pocahontas Memorial Hospital, Supplies, 150 Duncan Road, Buckeye, WV 24924. We encourage you to shop locally as best you can or donate from a business’s personal inventory if you wish to contribute.
If you have any specific questions, please contact Susan Wilkins, Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I do if I suspect I have the coronavirus?
If you have one of the symptoms or suspect that you may have the coronavirus, please call ahead before presenting at the hospital. This allows our staff to take early steps to protect both our patients and staff from possible infection. As cases begin to appear in our state, our processes will continue to evolve.
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms can be very similar to the flu or a cold. Symptoms include fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
What can I do to prevent getting the coronavirus?
Practice good basic handwashing and hygiene practices. Limit your exposure to people and practice social distancing as much as possible. If you are an older adult, ask someone younger to do your shopping and any necessary errands.
What if I am still worried?
Call us. We are more than happy to talk through your symptoms and determine if you should be seen by a doctor. Our clinic may be reached at 304-799-6200. Our main hospital line may be accessed at 304-799-7400.