Another year has begun and with it, the annual ritual of making New Year’s Resolutions. This year, take charge of your health with a few of our suggestions:
- Eat more fruits and veggies. We’ve heard time and again that we need at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day. But the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that the average American consumes a little less than three servings each day and in West Virginia, only 2 ½ servings per day.
- Drink more water. Our bodies need water for functioning. Headaches, drowsiness, lack of energy, dry skin, and illnesses can all be attributed to a lack of water. Aim for at least 8 cups of water each day.
- Quit smoking. The leading cause of death and disease in West Virginia is tobacco use, with the majority from smoking and chewing tobacco. Almost 4,000 West Virginians die each year from tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure. Smoking hurts you, your family, and your friends. If you need help quitting, call the WV Tobacco Quit Line at 1-800-QUIT-NOW. You can also find the Quit Line on the web at: http://www.bebetter.net/wvquitline_home.html. The Quit Line offers free patches, gum, lozenges, and counseling to help you quit.
- Find a healthcare provider. All adults need to visit a healthcare provider from time to time, even if they are healthy. A yearly exam will screen for diseases, assess your risk for future medical problems, update your vaccinations, and help maintain a relationship with a provider in case you are ever ill. If you need a healthcare provider, Pocahontas Memorial Hospital’s Rural Health Clinic offers healthcare for the entire family, including pediatric care and women’s health services. Give the clinic a call today to schedule an appointment at 304-799-6200.
- Move more. Everyone can benefit from more exercise. Even if you regularly workout, incorporate more activity into your daily routine. Do you work in an office? Walk down the hall to speak with a co-worker instead of phoning. Going grocery shopping? Park in the farthest space from the store.
- Cook more meals at home. While it may be easier and faster to bring home a pizza or bag of fried chicken for dinner, preparing fresh meals at home is a lot better for you.